It’s that time of year again! Games for Change is excited to announce the launch of the 2019 G4C Student Challenge Competition. Students across the country have been working hard all year to design and code digital games focused on social impact themes. Starting today through April 1st, students will be able to share their work for the chance to win national recognition and a bevy of cool prizes, including a $1,000 Grand Prize Scholarship from Take-Two Interactive!
We invite all middle and high school students in our participating cities of Atlanta, Detroit, Los Angeles, and New York City to submit their games for consideration. Games must be about one of this year’s Student Challenge themes: Automated Communities 2050, Disrupt Aging: Implications of Living 100 and Endangered Species. NYC students can also submit games that address a fourth theme: Envision Gender Equity, Diversity & Inclusion.
Each game will be evaluated by panels of industry jurors on Gameplay, Originality, Use of Theme, and Wow Factor. Winners will be recognized at the middle school and high school level for each theme in each participating city. More information on award categories, evaluation criteria, game guidelines and student eligibility can be found on the competition portal website: bit.ly/g4c_challenge
At the end of it all, we will invite all Student Challenge participants to a live awards ceremony in each city to celebrate the incredible work of our finalists and cohort educators. Awards Ceremony dates will be announced in the upcoming weeks and posted on our Events Page.
Good luck, and let the games begin!
HOW TO SUBMIT A GAME
- Select one of the Student Challenge themes for your game. Choose a topic that inspires you!
- Design and code a digital game about the topic. Work by yourself or in a team of up to 4 people; use any free software to make your game!
- Enter your game in the competition here: bit.ly/g4c_challenge You have a chance to win awesome prizes – games, technology, one-of-a-kind experiences. Grand Prize winners receive a $1,000 Scholarship!
- February 1 – Submission portal opens
- April 12 – Atlanta + Los Angeles Deadline
- April 18 – NYC + Detroit Deadline
- Deadline for all game submissions is 11:59 pm ET.
- April/May – Judges evaluate game submissions. Finalists notified in May.
- May/June – Winners announced / prizes awarded at Awards ceremonies in each city.
THEMES BY CITY
Atlanta, Detroit, Los Angeles:
(1) Automated Communities 2050 (2) Endangered Species (3) Disrupt Aging: Implications of Living 100
New York City:
(1) Automated Communities 2050 (2) Endangered Species (3) Disrupt Aging: Implications of Living 100 (4) Envision Gender Equity, Diversity & Inclusion